Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy

  • To: jandl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 11:32:50 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Howard C. Berkowitz" <hcb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

leah and all former DNSO GA members or other interested stakeholders/users,

  Excellent response's here Leah!  Well done and oh so true!

  I hope other stakeholders/users as well as industry folks will take
note of your remarks in response to Joop below.  In fact I was
just yesterday talking about some of this to Howard Berkowitz
from the ABA-ISC forum.  I hope he carefully reads your remarks
below.

L. Gallegos wrote:

> You're leaving out one major factor.  Regardless of what ICANN or the USG may do
> to restrict or control things, it is really the telcos that have the strangle hold, along
> with the RIR's.
>
> On 12 Oct 2003 at 16:13, Joop Teernstra wrote:
>
> > At 01:41 p.m. 12/10/2003, Don Brown wrote:
> > >Joop,
> > >
> > >I can't state it more simply, but I do not desire to offend you - You just
> > >do not understand.
> > >
> > >The Internet was born out of a U.S. defense initiative. Don't hold
> > >your breath for the Congress, Senate, Executive or Judicial branch of the
> > >U.S. government to donate it to to the world. It's not going to happen.
> > >That's the reality of it.
> >
> > Don,
> >
> > I am pleased that you make the argument so openly. You may be right with
> > your assessment of the current mood in the United States. I don't know.
> >
> > But there is also another reality. The Internet choke-points and DNS
> > policymaking  are not susceptible to "donation" .
>
> This is true where the TCP/IP protocol is concerned.  Yes, it is edge controlled.
> However, the numbering is where things can get rough.  If the RIR's wanted to
> capture things and pander to special interests, they could do so and cut off much of
> the user base from establishing networks, along with the telcos cooperation.  ISPs
> are already restricting the use of their networks by restricting ports to individual
> subscribers.  This is effectively narrowing the number of web and mail servers run by
> individuals and small businesses who use broadband.  Soon, some of the laws
> being passed will restrict the use of VPNs, NAT and other security measures.
> Present laws could do that now if courts chose to interpret them broadly.  They
> would make criminals of individuals and small businesses who can't obtain multiple
> static IPs and use NAT behind firewalls and also those who connect to remote
> company servers or telecommute, etc. using secure VPN's.
>
> So they don't have to "donate" anything.  All they have to do is make it difficult to use
> networks.
>

> > "The internet" cannot be donated by any party to anyone,  because the whole
> > is made up by those who populate its DNS.
>
> Only to a point.  See above.  Telcos are regulated.  The government could restrict
> the use of lines, which would restrict the use of the internet.  The major ISPs would,
> in turn, increase the restrictions on the use of their networks and the IP's they
> allocate to subscribers.  They're doing that now.  Users go to NAT due to restrictions
> on the use of IPs and NAT can be construed as criminal use of the ISPs network
> because is masquerades.  ISPs are not using the law in this fashion - yet - but they
> could.
>

> > It is a network formula between them. It is a public protocol. It is out of
> > the bottle. Its value and composition are a result of global participation.

> [...]

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801