Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy

At 01:41 p.m. 12/10/2003, Don Brown wrote:
Joop,

I can't state it more simply, but I do not desire to offend you - You
just do not understand.

The Internet was born out of a U.S. defense initiative. Don't hold
your breath for the Congress, Senate, Executive or Judicial branch of
the U.S. government to donate it to to the world. It's not going to
happen. That's the reality of it.

Don,

I am pleased that you make the argument so openly. You may be right with your assessment of the current mood in the United States. I don't know.

But there is also another reality. The Internet choke-points and DNS policymaking are not susceptible to "donation" .

"The internet" cannot be donated by any party to anyone, because the whole is made up by those who populate its DNS.

It is a network formula between them. It is a public protocol. It is out of the bottle.
Its value and composition are a result of global participation.

Impose too high cost or too many restrictions on Naming and Numbering and the demand will route around you.
In other words, any single Nation's grip on the Net must remain gentle or it evaporates.

Clinton and Magaziner recognized that. They were not giving up anything with the White Paper.

Besides, why should they - what margin is in it for them?  Making
non-US citizens pleased is not on their agenda.

ouch :-)

With that said, you can be instrumental in making a positive change.
We all know that ICANN is dysfunctional and fully controlled by the
insider cliche.  We can all write to members of Congress and to
Senators to show our disdain.  The number of similar letters from U.S.
and non-U.S. citizens should get some attention.

OK. Here I am with you. We can help with web-form petitions and email or paper letters and see if by presenting massive numbers ICANN can be morphed into something more transparent and answerable by US politicians. It might.

That is our shot -- to make things right.  I don't know of any better
way to slay the dragon, do you?

Work seriously on an alternative and better structure. Then lobby for that structure. Spend personal money. Volunteer time. Aim for surviving long enough that natural selection can do its work. Internet time runs too fast for dragons.

I'm not saying it's easy.

-joop-