Re: [ga] VeriSign fends off critics at ICANN confab and ALAC's ligitimacy

It it true that any one congresscritter is going to pretty much ignore letters coming
from outside their consituencies.  However, if a constituent's letter is accompanied
with thousands of signatures from all over the world plus letters from a diverse field
of users and they are all saying essentially the same thing, it will have an effect.

Moreover, if mail pertinent to the interests of any committee (in this case
"commerce") is accompanied by signatures and letters from thousands of people
from all over the world, plus sigs and letters from consituents, you can bet that those
committee members will take notice.

If the hue and cry is loud enough, and the media picks up on it, congresscritters will
notice because it can effect votes.  If users appear to be angry, and users vote,
those who need those votes will pander to them.

Joop is also right on.  Legislative aids and secretaries do, in fact, categorize
incoming mail and part of the sorting is based on constituents as opposed to others.
In cases where the issue is going to have wide notice, it makes less difference from
whom the letters come, but many will still have to be from that constituency.

Congress is taking notice of the importance of the internet on the global economy
and the fact that the internet has made the world a much smaller place.  Therefore,
they are noticing complaints from non US residents.  This makes it worth it to flood
them with the truth.  We don't have to fabricate anything.  There is plenty of
damaging material to present to government.  The real trick it have the same
material seen in the global and local media.

Leah