Re: [ga] More on Sitefinder suspension

On Monday 29 September 2003 08:27 pm, John Palmer wrote:
> I'll show you how deliberate it was. Leah filed a complaint with the
> DoC when ICANN announced that they were going to assign .BIZ to
> NeuLevel.  The DoC would not hold any hearings about it and basically
> ignored her.
>
> The day that they added .BIZ to the USG root, the DoC faxed her a
> letter saying that they couldn't do anything - that it was up to
> ICANN to make the decisions and that they were not going to hold any
> fair hearing, etc, etc.

Actually, the letter was sent to my attorney, who faxed me a copy. :)
Basically, the letter stated that per their policy, DoC would not
interfere with decisions made by ICANN regarding the TLDs.  They simply
abrogated their responsibility for oversight of the mission to ensure
stability of the internet.

We already know what members of the ICANN board had to say about it.
Vint Cerf stated at the House Telecommunications Subcommittee hearing
that ICANN is responsible for only their root, which is taken to imply
that the NTIA root has no bearing on anything else that might occur on
the internet.  Other board members made it clear that ICANN would do as
they please and would not recognize any other root or TLDs as even
existing.  They will choose to duplicate TLDs at any time they please.

So take it any way you like.  However, choosing to simply ignore the
existence of all other roots and existing TLDs creates the instability,
not the other way around.

> So, even the government was part of the conspiracy. (Suprise,
> suprise....).

No surprise here.

Leah