Re: [ga] More on Sitefinder suspension

  • To: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] More on Sitefinder suspension
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 18:47:45 -0700
  • Cc: Dan Steinberg <synthesis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Karl and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Dan Steinberg wrote:
>

> > Nothing in courts is a slam-dunk but this one...seems from this vantage
> > point...to be a long-drawn out action ending in a loss.
>
> I'm not so sure about the loss, but I agree with you and also foresee a
> long and expensive process.  ICANN has crippled its ability to act with
> authority in this matter because of its life-long non-attention to
> technical issues pertaining to stability and its fixation on
> business/economic/trademark regulation.

  Very much agreed.  However ICANN has also crippled itself
from the language and lack there or, despite frequent warnings
from many stakeholders/users, of reasonable technical measures
for the use of wildcards and/or other technical related issues
in it's haste as well as waste to formulate "Regulation" in the
name of all stakeholders/users without their consent or even
understanding and knowledge.  This has led us all to where
we are now, and again facing another technical issue that
ICANN is even unable to adequately address in a reasonable
time frame.

> The DoC perhaps has powers, but it to has wounded itself by failing ever
> to demonstrate that it has any cognizable statutory basis of authority.
> And it has oft-times demonstrated that it is rendered motionless by its
> fear what might happen to the net if it disturbed NSI/Verisign's hegemony.

  Very true form many stakeholders/users perspectives, unfortunately..

> See my note on this at: http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000056.html
>
> (General URL: http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog/ )
>
> As I see it, it's going to take a combination of several things to fix
> this situation:
>
>   - A unified message from the IAB/IETF/ICANN/ITU that this thing is a bad
> thing from a technical perspecitve.

  Harald has already waffeled a nearly exacting position on Wild cards,
as has Vixy, which I believe Stephanie posted the IAB's just two days
ago to this forum.  I posted the ISC's position from their web site.  The
IETF on the other had is still uncertain and the ITU wouldn't go any way
but along with the the WSIS direction on this issue..

>   - A clear message from ICANN, registrars, and users that this behaviour
> represents an unfair trade practice.

  Yes, and a good idea if attainable, which I doubt.

>   - Someone with guts at the DoC and who is willing to put his/her job on
> the line and willing to give the order to pull the contractual plug on
> the 1993 cooperative agreement.

  Not likely this year.

>   - A viable and capable registry operator standing in the wings that can
> instantly pick up the registry operations.

  Yes.  But are there really any.  I am sure that Nuestar or Nuelevel
would be more than happy to take on the job.  But that would be like
throwing gasoline on a raging fire...

>   - A well orchestrated press campaign to spread the word about what is
> being done, and why.

  Yes, much needed.

>         --karl--

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801