Re: [ga] ALAC statement on resolution of non-existing domain name s

At 11:57 AM 9/21/2003 +0200, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
Finally, I do not understand the argument that since some smaller TLDs
were already using wildcards, then using wildcards should be
automatically right or allowed to everyone. The fact that someone else
once broke the speed limits by 5 km/h on a deserted highway and no one
complained does not entitle you to do the same, or worse, to drive at
200 km/h in front of a school.

Actually, I am very much against the .PH registry's use of wildcards - their application was done arbitrarily - no consultation whatsoever from the local community - and in a blatantly commercial fashion. What I'm hoping for is if Verisign is censured and forced to bow down to public pressure from ALAC and other groups, this would allow those of us in the Philippines to pressure the private for-profit DotPH Inc. to do the same. Or better yet, use the wildcard issue within the context of our campaign to redelegate .PH to a non-profit registry accountable to the local community.

- jim