[ga] Verisign's NetSol's NextRegistrationRights and Snapnames

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Verisign's NetSol's NextRegistrationRights and Snapnames
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:17:14 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HelpPlease could someone tell me how Verisign can charge $69 via their Snapnames product to give customers a 12-month service on acquiring a specific name, then introduce today their "Next Registration Rights" product (at http://www.nextregistrationrights.com  ) which appears to undermine the Snapname product and alter its terms?

What happens to the customer who has purchased the Snapnames product for 12 months? Can they get their money back from Verisign or its subsidiary, seeing as the product has been changed and diminished?

How can Verisign market a product and sell it to customers, then introduce a rival subsidiary which alters their previous product and reduces the 12 month contract to "30 days after WLS launches"?

Did ICANN require Verisign to make provisions and pay compensation to their Snapnames customers, when WLS was proposed?

I hope a representative from Verisign reading this mailing list will explain how they can negate their own product like this, which hapless consumers have already paid for. As far as I can understand from the Snapnames website, their customers were sold a 12 month contract but are now being told that they can only exchange the Snapback for a WLS application in the first 30 days after the WLS launch on Oct 27th.

Surely this is breach of contract? Surely the 12 month service they promised to provide has been cancelled and I have a right to my money back?

Did ICANN attempt to protect consumers in the transition to WLS?

Yrs,

Richard Henderson