Re: [ga] ICANN Board: Do you hear the people sing?

  • To: Rick Wesson <wessorh@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN Board: Do you hear the people sing?
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:28:15 -0700
  • Cc: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxx, vinton.g.cerf@xxxxxxx, discuss-list@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rick and all former DNSO GA members,

  Your method is not legitimate:
See: "Identification

   In the com/net/org zones, domain registrants are the only entities
   that are authorized to update the domain information. Membership in
   the group covered by this document is thus defined as a domain name
   owner in com/net/org. A single domain represents a single
   registrant on a one-to-one basis. Although many registrants own
   more than one domain, attempting to develop normalization
   techniques to identify individual registrants are open to
   gaming. Because of this, domain ownership is equivalent to voter
   registration and each domain will be entitled to a single vote."

  No!  This [see above]  is unreasonable.  One registrant = one vote only!

Rick Wesson wrote:

> we should give domain owners the right to vote on issues that effect
> *their* dns much like I have described in the attached document.
>
> see (attached) draft-internet-ballot-01.txt
>
> -rick
>
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, George Kirikos wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does ICANN have any comment to the petition at:
> >
> > http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?icanndns
> >
> > It's adding 10+ signatures per minute, many from very large companies,
> > ISPs, small business, and individuals who recognize Sitefinder to be a
> > fundamental abuse and subversion of the DNS by Verisign. ICANN doesn't
> > need "2 or 3 days to make a comment" as suggested by Mary Hewitt. Call
> > a Board meeting today, and put this to an end.
> >
> > I hope others will link to the petition, and thanks to those who
> > already have spread the word via websites and forwarding emails to
> > friends and colleagues. Let's keep up the pressure until ICANN does the
> > proper thing, and either forces Verisign to stop (and repay their
> > ill-gotten gains), or redelegates to a more worthy registry operator.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > George Kirikos
> > http://www.kirikos.com/

>                                       Name: draft-internet-ballot-01.txt
>    draft-internet-ballot-01.txt       Type: Plain Text (TEXT/plain)
>                                   Encoding: BASE64

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801