Re: [ga] ISOC Italy At-Large Structure application

  • To: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ISOC Italy At-Large Structure application
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:49:36 -0700
  • Cc: DannyYounger@xxxxxx, ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Vittorio, Danny and all former DNSO GA members,

  Most stakeholders/users already know that the ALAC is
not and "Atlarge" organization and therefor mis-structured,
much the same as the GNSO/DNSO is and has been.
Therefore your reference to the "North American RALO"
in misleading at best for individual ATlarge stakeholders/users.

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:39:15 EDT, DannyYounger@xxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Vittorio,
> >
> >I read (with some amusement) the application you submitted on behalf of ISOC
> >Italy to become an At-Large structure and availed myself of the opportunity to
> >examine your ISOC website.  I expected to find at least some nominal
> >commentary on the part of your members regarding this At-Large application, but alas,
> >there appeared to be none.  I also found no discussion on this subject in your
> >public forum -- even worse, the archives of your "Internet Governance, ICANN
> >at-large membership" working group archives contain only spam messages going
> >back the last six months.
> >
> >Frankly, I find it hard to believe that any of your members (other than
> >yourself) have any particular interest in submitting this At-Large structure
> >application.
>
> Danny,
>
> the latest developments in ICANN At Large were presented and discussed
> at our last annual Assembly in May. After that, the matter was
> forwarded directly to the Council, which is is the elective body that
> manages the ordinary life of the organization. The Council has
> discussed the matter and has delegated me to prepare and submit the
> application. The working group lists are not in use at this time, as
> we are rethinking at the concept and number of our working groups. Our
> website could certainly be better or more frequently updated than it
> is now, but we are a small voluntary association and we do what we can
> (may I point out that your own At Large related website,
> http://naralo.info/, still has an incorrect list of ALAC members, and
> the latest news were posted on January 28?).
>
> So thanks for your suggestions, but if you're not happy with the way
> Societa' Internet operates, I think you should subscribe to it and
> propose something different.
>
> >Why are you promoting this farce?
>
> You could contribute to it with a number of constructive actions - for
> example, getting your ISOC chapter accredited, or starting up real
> discussions on a North American RALO; there are plenty of things still
> to build, so you have lots of room to influence the final outcome.
>
> Personally, I am not 100% happy with the way the ALAC was finally
> designed in ICANN Reform, nor with the way the ALAC works now - for
> example, we have succeeded in releasing a number of comments and
> policy documents that were appreciated by many, and in setting up an
> accreditation mechanism in reasonable time; but we have significant
> funding problems that prevent our outreach and our policy actions from
> being more effective. We need help, and though I am sure that many,
> from different groups of interest, would like us to fail, I still
> think that a workable worldwide coordination point would be a
> significant advance for the cause of individual Internet users. But we
> need support.
> --
> [...]

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801