Re: [ga] PLEASE COMMENT: Suggested ALAC response to sTLD RFP

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxx>, "J-F C. (Jefsey) Morfin" <jefsey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] PLEASE COMMENT: Suggested ALAC response to sTLD RFP
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 17:51:02 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I really like Jefsey's alternative viewpoint, highlighting the paternalistic
role of USG and ICANN, in laying claim to the control of what may or may not
become TLD, and vastly exceeding any justifiable mission it ought to have.

If ICANN merely had the role of ensuring the technology worked, and kept
right out of judgements and selections on who has or has not the right to
operate a new TLD, then we'd start getting the focus right.

I really like and appreciate the idea of Jefsey's that TLDs might naturally
spring up around communities or interest groups who, having sought the
appropriate logistics, simply needed to answer key questions to meet
criteria for operating a TLD.

This should have nothing to do with ICANN which, if the USG must insist it
still exists, should be simply seeing that the right switches get flicked.

You could actually operate an intelligent, rolling, two-year plan (a new one
initiated each year)... inviting communities, businesses and anyone else
seeking a TLD to present themselves and their plans, and respond to the key
questions, to prove eligibility.

You could promote a worldwide invitation (instead of saying pathetically
"just a handful of parties who applied last time") and then publicise all
the applications for public scrutiny, and a step by step acceptance process.

After launch, the market place would confirm or deny viability. Some TLDs
might be huge, some might be tiny, but individual companies or communities
would be able to grow and develop in *freedom*.

Given that the DNS system can accommodate a vast expansion of TLDs, and
given that there would be many parties and communities keen to proceed, what
God-given right does ICANN and USG feel they have to dominate the flow and
supply of TLD descriptors, as if they were in some way in authority over the
rest of the world?

Digital imperialism, more like...

Yrs,

Richard H