Re: [ga] Vint Cerf opposed to users being redirected to search engines

  • To: "L. Gallegos" <jandl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint Cerf opposed to users being redirected to search engines
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 22:16:28 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003, L. Gallegos wrote:

> The link below requires a subscription to wsjonline.  If anyone knows of any other
> articles reporting this opinion by Mr. Cerf, I'd like to see it.

In case anywone has not noticed, Microsoft's Internet Exploder^H^H^Hrer
comes from the factory with "search" enabled.

There is a long road between what a user enters into a browser's "address
bar" and what is seen in the browser windows.  Along that road the user's
entry may evolve considerably.

Microsoft has given itself priority places along that roadway, but we have
seen others, new.net being but one, who also have made use of the place
between the address bar and the window.

I seriously doubt that many web users care much about the religious purity
of domain names; I suggest that users care, instead, much more about
finding what they want.

		--karl--