Re: [ga] Vint Cerf opposed to users being redirected to search engines

  • To: icann board address <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, "Nancy J. Victory" <nvictory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Don Evans <DEvans@xxxxxxx>, Clyde Ensslin <censslin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kathy Smith <KSMITH@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Robin Layton <RLayton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jack Gleason <JGleason@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Vint Cerf opposed to users being redirected to search engines
  • From: Jeff Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 22:26:21 -0700
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx, Jeff Holt <jefftttt@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leah and all former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  It is very interesting again to read of Vint's misleading political
and now technical spin.  Given his ongoing employment with
Worldcom/con whom had defrauded it's stock holders, the
US public, and it's own customers for over 9 years now,
it is difficult for me or any of our members to take such
statements from Vint all that seriously.

  It should also be understood that AOL or any other service
provider that has their own search engine, much the same as
IBM was at one time touting along with Vint's help it is very
confusing and frankly very unbelievable that he could now
state that a free marketplace of ideas and methods for
how different methods in which a DNS server can be
configured and still work well and/or serve it's users
could be a "Practice" that he did not support.

 This article and statements from Vint Cerf sounds/reads
more like grandstanding and spin than anything else...

Nice try Vint, but no cigar here.  And don't say I didn't
warn  you either...  This has been coming for some time
because you along with the ICANN BoD refused to
heed the needs and desires of the stakeholders/users.

And so, the sad saga of ICANN continues...

L. Gallegos wrote:

> The link below requires a subscription to wsjonline.  If anyone knows of any other
> articles reporting this opinion by Mr. Cerf, I'd like to see it.
>
> Leah
>
> COMPANIES SEE VALUE IN WEB TRAFFIC ERRORS
> The WSJ runs a feature on the growing interest in
> misaddressed Web traffic, that occurs when a user enters a
> domain that does not exist.  Several companies, including
> AOL and Microsoft, are now redirecting users to their search
> engines.
>
>  ICANN chair Vint Cerf says he is adamantly opposed
> to the practice, however, arguing that modifies DNS servers
> to things they're not designed to do.
> http://online.wsj.com/article/0,,SB1062710102434100,00.html

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801