Re: [ga] Will the .info registry be open to competitive bidding in 2006?

Yes, .info Sunrise was a total fiasco.
It only showed how a unethical registry and unethical registrars can make
big bucks out of low registration numbers.
--> Additional fees for sunrise applications for registrars
--> Additional fees for Afilias from WIPO for every Sunrise Challenge

And yes, it was unnecessary.
Why give trademark holders precedence?
Now squatters moved from "domain name squatting" to "trademark squatting".
I have seen many new trademark applications for the term "sex" in the
anticipation of a dotEU Sunrise Period in the last two years.
Even Sebastian Dieterle (theinternetchallenge.de; Richard do you remember
him?) get his "SEX" trademark registered.

"Registernummer/Aktenzeichen: 30246759.9
Markentext:  SEX
Markenform:  Wortmarke
Inhaber:  Dom.info e.K., Karlsruhe
Zustellungsanschrift:  Herrn
Sebastian Dieterle
...str. 9
... Karlsruhe
Waren/Dienstleistungen (gegenwärtiger Stand):  Gaszünder für
Gasheizautomaten (Vollautomatik)"
Translated via Babel-Fish: "Gas fuze for gas automatic heating installation
(full mechanism)"
Now Dieterle can legally register sex.eu with his trademark for "Gas fuze
for gas automatic heating installation (full mechanism)"

WELL DONE MR. PALAGE!

This is what you wanted: More money for the Intellectual Property industry.

Best,
Simon