Re: [ga] PLEASE COMMENT: Suggested ALAC response to sTLD RFP

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] PLEASE COMMENT: Suggested ALAC response to sTLD RFP
  • From: "Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:16:43 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Actually, the document is considerably better than one usually gets from
ICANN-affiliated bodies.

Whether or not the authors of this paper are legitimate/properly
selected/wonderful/powermad/whatever, they seem to have produced a pretty
sensible paper.

If I could make one suggestion, it is that it might be worth mentining
that the only reason we don't have an in-hand 'evaluation' of the existing
'experiment' of new gTLDs is that ICANN

-refused to define criteria for 'success' or 'failure' ex ante

- sat on the data, disabling others from trying to report anything

- hasn't done anything that suggests its about to report anything
meaningful

It's not the fault of the new gTLDs, the applicants, or the public -- and
they shouldn't be penalized.

--
		Please visit http://www.icannwatch.org
A. Michael Froomkin   |    Professor of Law    |   froomkin@xxxxxx