Re: [ga] Will the .info registry be open to competitive bidding in 2006?

  • To: <ga@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Will the .info registry be open to competitive bidding in 2006?
  • From: "L. Gallegos" <jandl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 14:45:00 -0400
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just out of curiosity, how did you arrive at the $3.00 renewal fee?  Is that supposed
to be the registry fee?  Have you ever done a cost analysis to see whether that
amount would cover all costs associated with operating a registry, including
customer service (all registrars are customers), sofware development, personnel,
equipment, security, connectivity, escrow, legal, accounting, property
lease/purchase, etc.?  Based on that amount ($3.00) what would the revenue be at
current registation levels?

I ask this because I know that $3.00 doesn't cover very much.  If there are 500,000
registrations, it allows for very little operating cost recovery, and would probably not
be "in the black."

Leah