Re: [ga] PLEASE COMMENT: Suggested ALAC response to sTLD RFP

  • To: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ga@xxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] PLEASE COMMENT: Suggested ALAC response to sTLD RFP
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 09:23:02 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

I think that response would have greater legitimacy if it was written
AFTER widespread discussions, and not before. I don't see much
discussion at:

http://forum.icann.org/alac-forum/
http://forum.icann.org/alac-forum/new-gtlds/ (1 post, May 2003)
http://forum.icann.org/alac-forum/general/ (1 post, April 2003)
http://forum.icann.org/alac-forum/misc/ (5 of the 10 by "Jeff
Williams", so you know how little that means)

Why doesn't the ALAC lead discussions on the GA list, which has been
active in the past on numerous issues?

If conference calls have been taking place, shouldn't those be recorded
and turned into MP3 files? (sorry if I missed links to any past ones)

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/

P.S. My position would be that no new TLDs be added, until such time as
the success/failure of the prior ones has been determined. Personally,
I think there are more than enough TLDs already (and ccTLDs)... If
there are going to be new ones, they should be greatly differentiated
from existing ones, instead of 'clones' that attempt to basically
siphon demand from .com (i.e. .web, new.net and other pretenders). Or
if they are clones, should propose greatly reduced pricing for the
benefit of registrants (which you won't see if you're simply auctioning
off the TLDs, as then the incentives are to maximize profits once one
obtains the license). .com's registry operation would ideally be up for
tender at some point, too, in order to reduce costs to registrants.

More thought should be given to the needs of individual registrants,
the ultimate consumers of TLDs, and not just the
registry/registrar/ICANN staff (i.e. all the extra "make work" projects
and worldwide travel in evaluating TLD proposals) as beneficiaries.