Re: "stakeholders" was: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxx, "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>, karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: "stakeholders" was: Re: [ga] Re: ICANN before the US Senate...
  • From: Joop Teernstra <terastra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 16:06:05 +1200
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At 10:02 p.m. 15/08/2003, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
What I would like to avoid is that nothing is done for the people that *now* want to participate (for instance, the domain name registrants), that might have to wait the moment in which we will have a perfect global online democracy. I would like to start by a (maybe partial) solution, but thet is already more inclusive than the current situation, rather than build in abstract.

Best regards
Roberto

Karl,

I agree here with Roberto.  The best in this case is the enemy of the good.
Rome was not built in one day either.

It is relatively easy to identify and verify registrant "stakeholders" and give them voting rights. They also have clearly identifiable interests. Their numbers are big enough to be valid as a representative experiment in cyber-democracy.

(perhaps this is the very reason why it is so strongly resisted)

When the registrants can prove that they can make their democracy work satisfactorily, then is the time to look at widening the stakeholder/voter group and following the model that brought success.

-joop-