Re: [ga] Verisign under penalty of perjury: without WLS,registrars "threaten the stability of the Internet"

  • To: "Joanna Lane" <jo-uk@xxxxxxx>, "George Kirikos" <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, <ga@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Verisign under penalty of perjury: without WLS,registrars "threaten the stability of the Internet"
  • From: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 13:28:37 +0100
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is a truly excellent post from Joanna Lane, with a compelling analysis,
which builds upon the serious questions which George had already raised.

This organisation has less and less credibility worldwide.

This is not a public interest organisation at all. It is an organisation
stacked with industry insiders, which serves the few rather than the many.
It is unresponsive, evasive, manipulative. It uses catchphrases like
'consensus', but as Joanna points out, many decisions appear to be
pre-determined and made behind closed doors.

Every internet user is effected by ICANN policies, every domain registrant
is 'taxed' on each domain they buy, and yet there is no representation.

The democratically-elected representatives of the At Large (Internet Users)
were kicked off the Board (because they were independent and could challenge
the status quo).

ICANN exercises power without accountability (except to those vested
interests who seem to have such an undue private influence). To the ordinary
internet users all round the world, it is not accountable at all. And yet,
we are the people who actually use the Internet, build the Internet, teach,
communicate, help, share, trade... the Internet is ours (the world's)...

...and yet we are locked out of this organisation!

Yrs,

Richard Henderson