Re: [ga] Message Boards and moderation.

Eric and all former DNSO GA members,

Eric Dierker wrote:

> No, Defamation is both slander and Libel.
> But your client should just switch.
> For the user a moderated list is safer.

  How so?  In some specific instances moderation in discourse
public or private is indeed safer.  In other instances the type
and level of moderation of discourse public or private is
tool for censorship.  As such, and as in our First amendment,
opting for open and transparent discourse is preferable except
by proponents of anarchy and seek to foster distrust, and
ever increasing/ongoing conflict.

> It is not the author that bares the problem-generally.
> It is the publisher and editor on a moderated list.
> Oh there are exceptions and there is right and wrong, however to parphrase
> Buddha;
> It is far more helpful to be aware of a single weakness in onself, than a
> thousand in another, We should adopt a purer attidude about others and the
> problems in their lives and attitudes. Conflict should not be adopted but it
> should be understood for the reason it occurred.
>
> I personally love strong words and even expressions of anger, but I will not
> be dominated by it.

  We differ here.  I personally abhor expressions of anger, but recognize
that anger often is attributed where it is not present in written discourse,
and is often a reaction to a catalyst of some form, or origin.

> If we talk straight and in a reasonable way anger leaves
> the scene.

  Ah yes, a reasonable way...  But reasonable to one culture or
person may differ greatly to another.  Hence where tolerance
comes into play.

>  All points of separation between people should be discussed.

  Agreed.  And with moderation in this context, like censorship
all points are not possible to be discussed.  Hence again we come
full circle.

> Scenes of earth from the space shuddle show no boundaries on earth and there
> is likewise no boundary on the Internet.

  Good analogy or comparison here.  However when discourse or
forms of public speech are imposed, limits on the internet are
arbitrarily imposed to some degree or another...

    Pierre Abelard
E-Mail jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801