Re: Web address of [ga] list please

  • To: richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx, karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Web address of [ga] list please
  • From: "Roberto Gaetano" <ploki_xyz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:02:55 +0000
  • Cc: ga@xxxxxxxx, twomey@xxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

**** This is *not* an autoresponse **** ;>)

Richard Henderson wrote:

Thanks for your substantive mail, Karl, which I have snipped! Your new confidence in Paul Twomey is heartening but as yet to be demonstrated.

For the record, I share Karl's optimism.
Long time ago, two GAC reps stood up in an ICANN meeting, claiming that ICANN had to be more responsive to the user community. One of the two is Paul Twomey.
Of course, people can change in time, and/or when the wear a different had, but I am under the impression that ICANN's problem is more the way staff intend their role than the way the Board and/or CEO behaves. One can always argue whether it is the chicken or the egg that comes first, but just to watch in past ICANN meetings how staff have behaved as if they were the ones making the decisions, and BoD just listening (and after all voting according to the indication of the staff) gives a clear picture of where the problem was (and to a certain extent still is).
Example? Yes, think at Marina del Rey, famous historical meeting in which new TLDs were finally about to be delegated. Was I the only one having the impression that the decision was made by Luis Touton, who was intervening saying which objections were appropriate or not, what should have been taken into account by the Board to decide and what not, and so on?
My guess is that the first task Paul has in front of him is to establish once and for good who rules the house. Who is giving and who is taking orders, who is giving advice and who is making decisions.
I was lucky enough to meet him personally in some occasions, the first one in Cairo, and I have the firm impression that when it is time to have fun he joins the crowd and has fun, but when it is time to clean the house he is rolling up his sleeves and manages things to get done.
In the right way.
So can we for the time being at least suspend the judgement on the new management of ICANN, and collaborate giving at least the benefice of the doubt. Incidentally, the reason I accepted to join the ALAC recently is because I do believe that it will be possible now to do the step forward I did not manage to do in the past in the direction of improving the representation of the individuals in this process.
Best regards
Roberto