[ga] FYI: Cyber threats update CISPA legislation passed house

  • To: "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] FYI: Cyber threats update CISPA legislation passed house
  • From: Jeffrey Williams <jwkckid2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 20:29:00 -0700

All,

  This legislation should it pass the Senate and be signed into law will
likely not set well
with the ITU, WIPO and other IP interests.  However IMPO this legislation
does not go
far enough nor does it adequately address the depth of the cyber security
threats that
we all have seen, experienced, or read about.  It also does not address in
any meaningful
way International organizations that are domiciled in the United States to
comply with
this new legislation.  I have taken the liberty through congressional
channels to express
same accordingly.  It's clear to me that the ICANN GAC and the DSSA working
group in
this area are significantly underenguaged and largely less
than adequately interested.
However I am pleased to see the improvements with respect to the privacy
aspects of this
legislation.  I am also hopeful that compliance with this legislation in
international trade
agreements will be updated to reflect the final bill should it be amended
as I and others
have suggested when it goes to the Senate for consideration.

Respectful regards,

CISO
Phone: 214-245-2647

  From congressman Flores NEWSLETTER as an FYI

Dear Jeffrey,

  I thought this might be of particular interest to you given your efforts
in this area.  Thank you for
sharing those through your congressman Sam Johnson and personally with me.
 I think you
will be pleased.

*Cyber Security*
During the course of several briefings, some of which were classified,
the House
Intelligence Committee revealed that the foreign cyber threat to our
technology, infrastructure, and economy is real. Nation states like Iran,
China, and Russia are literally stealing our intellectual property,
stealing our jobs, and stealing the futures of our children and
grandchildren. These same nation states are engaged in activities and have
capabilities to hurt our economy and even destroy our computer
infrastructure. Cyber-attacks not only target government networks but they
target nearly every sector of the American economy.

On Thursday and Friday, the House took steps to thwart cyber-attacks on
businesses and individuals with the passage of four cyber security bills
aimed to enhance intelligence sharing, further research and development,
and strengthen cyber security. These bills enhance cyber-attack
intelligence sharing between the government and private companies in the
banking, utilities, energy, and manufacturing sectors. They strengthen
America’s protections against cyber-attacks; they do not provide for
government surveillance of citizens. In fact, there are strong privacy
protections included in this legislative package.

The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, as amended (CISPA), H.R.
3523, helps private sector job creators defend themselves from attacks from
other countries by simply allowing the federal government to share
information and tools currently used by the government with the private
sector. This information sharing will help keep foreign nations out of the
private networks of U.S. companies while protecting American innovation and
hard work. This bill draws a bright line between government and the private
sector, but does not allow for any government surveillance of citizens.
This bill also provides strong protections for privacy and civil liberties.
It does not allow the government to stop access to particular websites,
monitor, censor, read emails, or require private companies to remove
content.

The Heritage Foundation has written an Issue Brief regarding CISPA which
helps describe this legislation. You can view the brief AT:
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2012/04/cyber-intelligence-sharing-and-protection-act-promotes-cybersecurity

With great respect,

Bill Flores
Member of Congress