Re: [ga] Gymnasium Querfurt fraud

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Gymnasium Querfurt fraud
  • From: Matthew Pemble <matthew@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 09:40:46 +0100

Folks,

On 4 May 2010 01:02, Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Another MEP supports my position. See appended.

Do they really? Actually support your position that a world-shaking fraud -
with catastrophic implications for the worldwide DNS and domain business has
taken place?

I don't think so.  What they are saying is what I would generally say to
somebody who alleged they had been defrauded by a third party.  "Very
interesting.  Go to the police."  Which is the same as the intern for Herr
Albrecht said (and his policy advisor states "Mr. Albrecht himself does not
have anything to say on this.")

> Now here is the million dollar question. Have the police even been
> involved?

Has any victim of the alleged fraud reported it to the police?  In fact,
Joe, have you?  I appreciate you don't pull Jeff's trick of almost randomly
attaching the email addresses of multiple law enforcement bodies to emails
to this list (which is hardly an effective way of reporting a crime) but
have you, or anybody, been a victim of this site (as opposed to the wider
alleged fraud.)

> The principle promised he would apply the German law - but it is certainly
> taking a bit of time for the law to catch up.

Assuming you are being honest and accurate, he didn't.  You reported that
said, if I recall correctly, that he would take disciplinary action in
accordance with German law.  Now, schoolkids regularly do things that are
not legal and the schools can often be persuaded to discipline them within
the school rules rather than involving the police and the criminal courts.
Anyway - what is the offence the child is committing?  Passing off as the
school?  Under US or British law, this is a civil tort rather than a
criminal offence (assuming that the domains are actually registered - I've
insufficient interest in this to set myself up as a customer to check.)

> Con and scam artists are served well by bureaucratic ineptitude.

And that policing priorities are rarely concentrated on low value, purely
financial crime - especially in the absence of any complaints on the
matter.  You don't see that many prosecutions for expenses fraud, either,
for just the same reason.

Not everything that happens is part of some massive conspiracy - even if
ICANN are involved!

Matthew

--
Matthew Pemble