Re: [ga] The Beijing root server DNS incident continues ...

  • To: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx >> GA" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] The Beijing root server DNS incident continues ...
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 15:59:09 -0400

On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Jeffrey A. Williams <
jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As you recall back in 2002, ICANN at the IANA's recommendation decided that
>

> distributing the Root servers was a good idea for a number of valid
> reasons.
>
> I agreed as did others.

And it is a good idea. It's the method they used to deploy the idea which is
bad and vulnerable to attack. If you take critical infrastructure seriously
- you nationalist the root on a country by country basis.

Or you establish new root server providers. Many many roots. That was also
proposed. That would of broken the monopoly. Many supported it but did not
happen.

> It seems though that in this particular case with "I"
>
> root server that consistancy and integrety of same was degraded
> accordingly.

and continues ... it's still offline. Which leads me to believe the issue is
more political then technical.

> As such, the impression that reliability of the "Legacy Roots" has been
>
> less than intended or needed accordingly.

It's a farce or act of faith.

>   I hope this can be corrected
>
> and will be in the very near future, but am not holding my breath.

Solution .. nationalize the root.

regards
joe baptista