[ga] Far too many ICANN comment periods open and ending at the same time!

  • Subject: [ga] Far too many ICANN comment periods open and ending at the same time!
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:41:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

Have you seen the number of comment periods that ICANN has opened up?

http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/

There are more than 10 of them ending between March 28th and April 1st:

http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/

9 of which were just announced yesterday with huge documents:

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-4-15feb10-en.htm
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-15feb10-en.htm

This is unacceptable and ridiculous. It takes time to prepare substantial
comments, and it's bad faith for ICANN to be clustering them all so closely
together. They need to be staggered, spaced out at least a week or two apart
for each one, to give people ample time to address each document. I've already
found important flaws just glancing at some of the documents (e.g. in the URS).

I suggest that the public be given 45 days to respond to the first issue, and
then space out the deadlines by 7 days each for remaining 8 issues that were
just opened up (to end over the subsequent 8 weeks). Some of the other ones
should be extended too.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/