[ga] Re: Proposal: ICANN should cease acceptance of PDF, DOC and other attachments from public comments

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: Proposal: ICANN should cease acceptance of PDF, DOC and other attachments from public comments
  • From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:11:51 +0100

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 10:03:17AM -0800,
 George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
 a message of 21 lines which said:

> Given the numerous vulnerabilities in attachment formats, including
> PDF:

There is no vulnerability in PDF, only in *one* specific proprietary
PDF reader. If someones finds a security weakness in Windows Notepad,
will you ban ASCII?

> I propose that ICANN cease to accept all public comments that are in
> any format other than ASCII or Unicode text.

It would be more interesting to have a discussion on the acceptable
formats, specially proprietary vs. "open" (which is not easy to
define). Comments in MS-Word should not be accepted, because it
requires paying Microsoft to view them.