Re: [ga] AGP - Success??

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] AGP - Success??
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:51:49 -0500

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Well the report is in. Did you know that there is 100% compliance.
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/tlds/agp-policy-17dec08-en.htm

It's all so much crap. I just wrote this little twitter that applies
http://bit.ly/4Uhgwu

As members of the general public will soon realize they can run their own
DNS servers and bypass their ISPs, ICANN, the USG, Google, OpenDNS and all
the experimental alternatives - which have more or less failed.

Problem is there is no good operational DNS server for windows. I know of
BIND for Windows but last time I looked at it it was crap. People who run
Linux OS will not have a problem. They can install a BIND server and point
their resolver to localhost - 127.0.0.1.

MAC OS I'm sure can also run DNS probably BIND in a virtual machine. In any
case it can be done.

The Google announcement has resulted in a high number of windows DNS
programs which basically do nothing important. Some test DNS resolver times.
Theres one that switches your DNS that I don't trust simply because I can't
contact the programmers and they hide their domain details behind a whois
proxy service.

But I suspect the next wave of DNS programs for windows may be useful and
will give people the power to run their own servers and gain the highest
level of privacy and security in the process.

Right now privacy in DNS is a trust between the user and whoever is
providing their DNS. As we all know that trust has been violated on many
occasions and has been well documented here on the GA.

Let's not forget the power behind DNS and let those who remember not forget
that I proved the theory using the Baptista Vortex. He who controls the DNS
controls the users computer and has the power to monitor all the users
activities via a simple DNS redirect and a proxy server.

Thats scary and thats why I run my own DNS server. I will never run into
that problem - and thats where security and trust start.

cheers
joe baptista