Re: [ga] monetizing the .tel namespace

  • To: Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] monetizing the .tel namespace
  • From: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:27:51 -0400

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Hugh Dierker <hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Danny,
>
> You did read this and realize that it is so much investor PR crap that not
> only makes no sense but that it is being targeted by enviromentalist as a
> toxic dump.

I concur with that observation.

> Check it out:
> ""announced that it is delivering a new solution for text-based advertising
> listings for the .tel domain, enabling .tel domain owners to use more
> traditional and measurable domain monetization techniques.""

basically the technical translation is we use various resource records from
the dns protocol suite to transmit information using a proprietary software
package.

> That is just probably the biggest pile of horse shit.  The generally
> accepted useage and meaning of monetization is the printing of money by
> central banks.

Exactly. I don't see how it's going to monetize anything. It is however a
means of organizing data. What is of particular note is that the client can
easily be reversed engineered to include domains outside the .tel zone.

But right now it's marketing hype for sure. They could of done better on the
marketing hype.

regards
joe baptista

--
Joe Baptista

www.publicroot.org
PublicRoot Consortium
The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive, Representative &
Accountable to the Internet community @large.
 Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
    Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Personal: http://baptista.cynikal.net/