[ga] Registrants Rights

  • To: rod_beckstrom@xxxxxxxxx, General Assembly of the DNSO <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Registrants Rights
  • From: Andy Gardner <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:19:41 -0500

Dear Mr Beckstrom,

At the public forum in the Sydney ICANN Meeting, Kieren McCarthy stated that questions could be asked via an online question box, and that if time ran out to answer those questions during the public forum, answers would be provided later.

Taking advantage of the remote participation opportunity, I asked the following of the Chairman of the ICANN Board, Peter Dengate-Thrush:

"Peter, in 1999 in Santiago you spoke towards a Constituency for Domain Registrants. 10 years on Registrants - who pay a significant tax to ICANN - have no vote. Do you think it's time Registrants had a hands-on role in ICANN?"

The reply form Peter was:

"Okay. I don't think we're going to be able to answer that in this time frame. Next in line?"

I was hoping you might be able to let me know in what timeframe Peter will be providing an answer to my question.

Kind regards,