Re: [ga] Most Popular Invalid TLDs Should Be Reserved

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Most Popular Invalid TLDs Should Be Reserved
  • From: Karl Auerbach <karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 13:02:06 -0700

George Kirikos wrote:

I recommend that the Security and Stability Advisory Committee compile
statistics on
invalid TLD queries across all root servers, and from popular ISP-run DNS
servers, in
order to create a Reserve List. The list of at least the top 1000 invalid TLDs
should
be made public to ensure transparency, and be pruned only with the consensus
support of
the community.

Which creates a kind of denial of service attack: If I want to block my competitor or enemy from getting a TLD I'd generate a lot of pages and videos containing highly attractive links to URL's with names in that TLD, or I'd hire a botnet to generate queries for that TLD.

By-the-way, there's a not quite related issue: IP addresses are often diseased from prior use. For example some people I know get a constant (and very annoying) rain of packets from old Microsoft machines looking to contact some MS servers that used to sit at an address that has now moved into other hand. I recently had to change providers for one of my outlying sites because some jerk started generating about 500 SIP Invites per second looking for an Asterisk server that used to be at that address. (I had to change providers because no provider along the path would install a filter, so I abandoned the address to the next sucker^B^B^B^B^B^Bperson. Last time I checked ARIN couldn't care less if they hand out an block that is diseased.

The net is at risk of dead spots in address space and DNS caused by this kind of thing as well as by filters and blacklists that once-established are never removed.

        --karl--