Re: [ga] White House to oversee coordination of cybersecurity efforts

  • To: hdierker2204@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] White House to oversee coordination of cybersecurity efforts
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 21:43:05 -0700

Eric and all,

  I hear ya!  Yet so far it seems that this administration has gotten
what it's planned on having and has thus far had strong support
from congress and the global community.  Your disbelief may be
borne out, but that remains to be seen in this instance, and despite
my concerns as to the overall success which I believe we share,
the means will to one degree or another, propel the ends...

  I only hope that NIST is up to the potentially coming task...
I do have my doubts, yet have on occasion been very supportive
of some of the NIST's recent past efforts and participated in
a few.

Hugh Dierker wrote:

> Sounds great and spiffy Jeffy, I ain't buying it. You just put
  together a logical practical scenario (albeit a bit federally
  lopsided). All I am seeing are sound bites. There has been no change
  in cyber governance.Or to put it another way, I have seen no cyber
  governance. Perhaps the intention is to socialize communication
  systems. Perhaps it is to do nothing. The sound byte is irrelevant.

  --- On Sun, 4/5/09, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

       From: Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       Subject: [ga] White House to oversee coordination of
       cybersecurity efforts
       To: "Ga" <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       Cc: "GAC Rep" <ssene@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Cheryl Preston"
       <prestonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "2nd address Cheryl Langdon-Orr"
       <langdonorr@xxxxxxxxx>, "Paul Lehto" <lehto.paul@xxxxxxxxx>,
       "Stephen Northcutt" <stephen@xxxxxxxx>, "Alan Paller"
       <apaller@xxxxxxxx>, "NIST Elizabeth Lennon"
       <lennon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "NIST Karen Scarfone"
       <karen.scarfone@xxxxxxxx>
       Date: Sunday, April 5, 2009, 4:38 AM

       All,

         To follow up on proposed legislation drafted in the Senate,
       it appears that as far as the USG within the government,
       the Obama administration is getting off to a strong and
       aggressive start.  This initiative will likely dovetail the propose
       legislation that will expand this new office ( IT security Czar )
       and this position will be setting the tone and specifics as to
       what levels, types, and to whom/what entities such requirements
       will be directly and under color of law, mandate.

         I personally see this as a very bold move, that has some worrysome
       ramifications, but if pulled off effectively and flexably also has far
       reaching and hugely benificial effects across the Internet.

         As an FYI, see:
        http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20090403_9076.php?zone=ngtoday

       Two officials in the Obama administration confirmed on Friday that the
       White House would oversee the coordination of securing networks
       governmentwide, identifying more than 250 requirements in an
       on-going 60-day review of federal cybersecurity initiatives.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827