Re: [ga] VeriSign ICANN: be afraid, competitive procurement might be coming

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] VeriSign ICANN: be afraid, competitive procurement might be coming
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 17:05:44 -0800

George and all,

  Yes, and this is a good thing as well as perhaps being one of the
reasons Mr.Twomey has as of 03/02/09 announced his resignation
as CEO of ICANN.  Of course as ICANN's costs due largely to
lack of reasonable fiscal constraint/common sense, given the executive
and some staff salaries, amongst other costs such as the registration fees
for "Consideration" of prepared proposal for a new gTLD without the
possibility of those fees if rejected, being returned.  That's bilking by any
definition I cam possibly consider as comparable.

  Hell, INEgroup can take over for ICANN and all it's operations for
 1/3 or less of what ICANN has been charging.  Of course nearly
all of the other Sr. Staff would have to agree to take a significant
salary hair cut on up to 3/4's of what they are recieving now, and several
key current Sr. Staff would be dismissed immediately as well as Westlakes
contract terminated but they( Westlake) would have the opertunity to be
reconsidered pending a brief negotiation time table.  All their in progress
work would be temporarly haulted pending review as well is we were to
take over for ICANN.  Multipul root structures would be back on the
table for serious consideration as well.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> In light of the NTIA/DOJ letter strongly suggesting how competitive
> procurement should take place, to lower costs for consumers, I am encouraged
> by today's directive by the US government regarding contracting procedures:
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090304/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_waste
>
> "Those new rules, officials said, would make it more difficult for
> contractors to bilk taxpayers and make some half-trillion dollars in federal
> contracts each year more accessible to independent contractors."
>
> "Obama will say that his administration will stop outsourcing to private
> contractors many services that should be performed by government employees.
> He also pledged to open contracts to small businesses and eliminate
> "unnecessary" no-bid contracts that allow preferred contractors to take
> assignments even though they might not be the least expensive option."
>
> Obviously, the services provided by both VeriSign and ICANN can be performed
> much less expensively by either in-house government employees or by
> competitive tenders. Just like Neustar won the .us contract, VeriSign should
> have to compete to provide .com/net registry services, as should PIR (who
> have raised prices substantially) for .org.
>
> It's clear that for any new gTLDs that the community agrees should be added
> to the root, that there should be a tender process to see who would perform
> that at the lowest cost. This is the exact opposite of how ICANN wishes to
> manage things, auctioning off the new TLDs to the highest bidder to maximize
> its own benefit (at the expense of consumers). ICANN has demonstrated they
> are not the "least expensive option", as not only is their budget out of
> control:
>
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090105_icann_for_profit_companies_comparables/
> http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090203_icann_blows_46_million_stock_market/
>
> but they actively propose to raise business and consumers costs through
> ill-conceived programs like the new gTLDs boondoggle.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.leap.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827