Re: [ga] New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Version 2

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Kurt Pritz <kurt.pritz@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Whitehouse <Comments@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Version 2
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 22:19:05 -0800

George and all,

  Thanks for the useful and rightful effort.  But as has been the history
of NeuStar for continuing to engage in circular arguments, a well known
tactic to deflect reality and reasonableness, your effort however well
stated or intentioned will not make much difference in the entrenched
fallacious positions of registries such as NueStar or Afilias as well as
Registrars such as GoDaddy, ect.  ICANN is also unwilling for obvious
monetary reasons to consider or demand accountability from it's Registries
that are it's largest financial contributors in terms of fees to take the
obvious
corrective action accordingly.

  It's also very unfortunate as well as questionably ethical that neither
the DOJ or DOC/NTIA is willing to instruct ICANN to take specific
and direct action vis a vi NeuStar or Afilias in this respect, but perhaps
that is due to the fact the in NeuStar's case, they manage still .US for
uncle sam, who's getting ripped off on a number of levels.  I hope
the the new administration and AG Holder will take a personal look
into the activities to which have been raging now for years with NeuStar
and Afilias, as well as GoDaddy to ensure that the consumer/public/users
and registrants are being well and properly served.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> --- On Thu, 2/19/09, Neuman, Jeff <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is my own personal post and not an official NeuStar
> > position.
>
> Then why do you say a few lines below "Again, it is NeuStar's position...."?
> :)
>
> > Your assertions are incredibly far-fetched especially when
> > it relates to
> > the Abuse Policy.  In case you did not know, NeuStar has
> > had an abuse
> > policy since 2006.  See
>
> However, since 2006 Neustar has not had the ability to engage in tiered
> pricing. Obviously if the rules of the game change, the behaviour of the
> players would also change.
>
> > You are so paranoid that we are all out there to mess with your
> > business, that you fail to recognize the truth of what is going on.
>
> I see the truth far too clearly. It is the registry operators who
> demonstrably try to shade the truth. Let me remind of your past statements in
> 2006 when the biz/info/org attempted to remove price caps (and lost):

> "WHAT LANGUAGE CAN YOU POINT TO IN THE PROPOSED AGREEMENT (WHEN
> COMPARING IT TO THE EXISTING AGREEMENT) THAT WOULD ALLOW US TO DO THE
> HYPOTHETICAL THINGS YOU BELIEVE WE ARE ABLE TO DO.  IN OTHER WORDS, JUST
> BECAUSE THERE IS NO MAXIMUM PRICE STATED IN THE AGREEMENT, WHY DO YOU
> BELIEVE WE ARE ENTITLED TO CHARGE A DIFFERENT WHOLESALE FEE FOR EACH
> REGISTERED DOMAIN NAME?"
>
> You attempted to give folks a false interpretation of the proposed agreement.
> ICANN's counsel (through Vint Cerf) directly confirmed my interpretation that
> if price caps were eliminated, tiered pricing would not be forbidden:

> That is obviously not what you said back then. The public spoke out against
> the proposed changes with almost 1000 comments:
>
> http://forum.icann.org/lists/biz-tld-agreement/
>
> Having lost that battle, why would you call it "paranoia" when the exact same
> debate is reopened 3 years later, one that would be highly profitable to
> registry operators, at the expense of the public? Recall I challenged you
> directly:

> "would Neustar agree as a simple matter that the draft contracts be amended
> to forbid differential pricing on a domain-by-domain basis, i.e. to forbid
> .tv-style non-neutral and discriminatory pricing?"
>
> and of course you clammed up (check the archives chronologically, you didn't
> post again for ages.
>
> I'm just a simple person. When I see folks arguing to have certain powers, I
> assume they will use them. Especially when they have the opportunity to sign
> away the rights to those powers, but choose not to. If registry operators
> want to lower prices, caps don't prevent that. Caps only stop them from
> raising prices.
>
> > prices, like .tv)."  Let me ask you a question.  How
> > many registrars
> > actually delete domain names these days?  Almost all names
> [...]

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827