Re: [ga] New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Version 2

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] New gTLD Applicant Guidebook Version 2
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 08:16:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

--- On Wed, 2/18/09, Jeffrey A. Williams <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>   Nice catch George.  Any yes this is voluminous.  As such,
> I can't see any reasonable way in which it could be properly
> implemented or adhered to.

I submitted slightly longer comments to CircleID that might be of interest:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090219_tiered_pricing_continues_in_new_gtld_guidebook/

In particular, DOJ made two specific recommendations, namely

(1) ICANN Should Give Greater Consideration to Consumer Interests before
Creating New gTLDs and Renewing Registry Agreements, and

(2) ICANN Should Revise The RFP Process and the Proposed Registry
Agreement to Protect Consumers from the Exercise of Market Power. In fact,
ICANN has done the exact opposite, ignoring consumer interests and tilting
these agreements even more in favour of existing and prospective registry
operators than the prior drafts.

It is time for the NTIA/DOJ to take decisive measures now to prevent
further damage through ICANN's utter disregard for the public interest.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/