Re: [ga] ICANN delays new gTLDs?

  • To: Joe Baptista <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ICANN Admin supp. Manager Karen Lettner" <karen.lettner@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kieren McCarthy <kieren.mccarthy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN delays new gTLDs?
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 14:59:46 -0800

Dr. Joe and all,

  Spot on Dr. Joe!  But than again, ICANN needs to have as many
excuses as it can muster, accurate/honest or not.  We've seen this
song and dance before.  A sad comentary indeed!

Joe Baptista wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 9:09 AM, George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>

>      Journalists are reporting that ICANN has delayed new gTLDs
>      and has published
>      the second draft of the guidebook:
>
>      http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/
>      236683/icann-pushes-back-gtlds
>

> Thanks for the heads up George.  One thing I did find in this article
> is a lot of misinformation in the finest of ICANN tradition.
>
> Karla Valente, a communications person with ICANN said "Even though
> [gTLDs] will not launch on 30 September, as we said in our Cairo
> meeting, we are still working internally to launch in 2009," she said.
> " However, some overarching issues could delay things."  According to
> Valente these issues include the cost of registration, the market
> impact of the new gTLDs, and the technical impact, for example whether
> there is enough space on the Domain Name System to accommodate them.
>
> The last statement she made on whether there is enough space on the
> DNS to accommodate new TLDs is pure bullshit.  As I have said time and
> time again the root dns can accommodate as many zones as one finds in
> the .com zone file.  The technology to serve dns data at the root or
> TLD level is exactly the same.  And its been proven already - the HEX
> in europe was an excellent example that the root can accommodate
> thousands if not millions of TLDs.
>
> How much longer will ICANN repeat this mantra of nonsense that there
> may be a limit to the number of TLDs that the root zone can
> accommodate?
>
> The truth behind this delay - one I welcome - is that ICANN is coming
> to terms with the overwhelming opposition and legal issues these new
> TLDs will cause.  Also the war for control over the root is another
> factor.  We'll see a show down between DOC and ICANN in 2009 which
> will to a large extent determine ICANN's future - or lack of it.
>
> regards
> joe baptista
>

> --
> Joe Baptista
> www.publicroot.org
> PublicRoot Consortium
> The future of the Internet is Open, Transparent, Inclusive,
> Representative & Accountable to the Internet community @large.
>  Office: +1 (360) 526-6077 (extension 052)
>     Fax: +1 (509) 479-0084

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827