RE: [ga] Can trademark holders seize my domain if I haven't done anything in bad faith?

  • To: "Richard Henderson" <richardhenderson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Can trademark holders seize my domain if I haven't done anything in bad faith?
  • From: "Dominik Filipp" <dominik.filipp@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 21:50:38 +0100

Richard,

As far as I have reviewed similar cases, courts, etc. addressing domain
trademark infringements, the plaintiff/judge should prove your intent to
use the name in bad faith, or in intentional confusion of the users
while (e.g. financially) profiting from the branded name. The registered
trademark NHS itself is not sufficient to lay claim to desist from using
the name by third-party owner (you). NHS can be an abbreviation for many
things such as national hockey standards or neural heterogeneous
systems, just mentioning the first stupidities that crossed my mind.

As far as your domain does not point to any genuine site, it has no
content which could be subject to further consideration as regards your
incentives or motivation towards or against the NHS trademark. I would
personally desist from collecting any material about NHS even if it was
not considered a clash of interest, ...but it could be.

In my opinion, your nhs.info site with a neutral content cannot be
considered a collision with the NHS interest, however loud their voice
or threats would be presented.

But, I am NOT a lawyer and this is not a legal advice.

Dominik