Re: [ga] ICANN opens up Question Box for Mexico City meeting

  • To: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, Paul Levins <paul.levins@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN opens up Question Box for Mexico City meeting
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:56:45 -0800

George and all,

  Yes I saw this, and forwarded it to our members for them to
review and consider to submit to me or independently if they so
chose, questions.  However given ICANN's history of "Black
hole" generic Email addresses for the similar purposes in the past,
historically, the lack of confidence our members have become
unfortunately expectant to, it may be that very few questions
from our members and other stakeholders will be forthcoming
in other than some Canned form, if at all.

  The questions you posed here George all seem good ones.  I
hope that either before or during the Mexico meeting, ICANN will
provide in detail and targeted answers to those and any other
questions that may be submitted via this process.

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> ICANN has opened up a Question Box for the Mexico City meeting, see:
>
> http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-11feb09-en.htm
>
> It'll be interesting to see whether they respond with more than just
> canned non-answers given that they have the time to prepare. Since we're
> allowed to submit more than one question, here's a few I submitted (with
> perhaps more to come once the next new gTLD Draft Guidebook is published).
> If others submit questions feel free to post them to the GA list, and we
> can see whether ICANN does in fact answer them in Mexico. Questions were
> limited to 30 words.
>
> 1. Why did ICANN use its emergency reserve fund to speculate in financial
> markets, losing a reported $4.6 million? Emergency reserves are supposed
> to be kept in risk free liquid securities.
>
> 2. In ICANN's Form 990, Paul Twomey's compensation was adjusted upwards to
> reflect the declining US dollar. Now that the US dollar has soared, will
> his compensation be adjusted downward accordingly?
>
> 3. Why is the Board Finance Committee planning an expensive hedging
> program, when it is possible to conduct most of its business in US
> dollars, shifting currency risks to suppliers?
>
> 4. One million/year is spent on telephone costs. What's being done to
> minimize that cost, in particular competitive tenders by suppliers, etc?
> What's the cost per minute of conference calls currently?
>
> 5. Why was ICANN staff researching George Kirikos' political views on
> President Barack Obama? (as was verified by Apache webserver referrer
> logs) Does ICANN keep a dossier on every community participant?
>
> 6. Why does ICANN use For-Profit companies as "comparables" in its
> compensation, when it purports to be a Non-Profit? Given staff's job
> security compared to the private-sector, isn't this unwise overspending?
>
> 7. A federal court in California awarded Verizon $33.15 million against
> OnlineNIC for cybersquatting. What's ICANN doing to protect registrants in
> the event of registrar failure? Are other registrars vulnerable?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.leap.com/

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827