RE: [ga] Can someone explain how ICANN spends $1 million/yr+ on telephone costs?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [ga] Can someone explain how ICANN spends $1 million/yr+ on telephone costs?
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:36:31 -0800 (PST)

Hi Roberto,

--- On Wed, 2/4/09, Roberto Gaetano <roberto@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> As far as I know the telephone costs include the costs of
> all
> teleconferences for all ICANN bodies (Board, Board
> committees, working
> groups, SOs, ALAC, RALOs, etc.)
> Before we start arguing about skype and other means
> available in the
> developed countries, let's remind that these calls have
> to be joined by
> folks who are all over the world.

Thanks for replying. It still sounds like a lot of money to me, given that if
one does a search in Google for "conference calls", there are a lot of
providers out there willing to do it for 4 cents/minute per user or less (and
one can probably negotiate it to be less given the scale at which ICANN is
spending, presumably six figures). Of course non-US or non-Euro calls might be
a bit higher, but if one combines VOIP with purchases of DID forwarding numbers
in certain countries, the costs have really been going down over the past few
years. And if it could be 4 cents/minute for 95% of users, and the other 5% get
subsidized calls (send them a calling card or something). Tender things out,
and see what happens (I'd be curious to know the current average cost per
minute per user, for example).

Perhaps create a bounty, let ICANN staff keep 10% of the cost savings as a
one-time bonus, weighted towards the individual(s) responsible for finding the
savings or efficiencies. This would provide some incentives to be frugal,
especially in the current economic climate. Right now, there doesn't seem to be
any urgency on ICANN's part to find cost savings. They should be trying harder,
as it's our money they're spending.

As you are likely aware, $4.6 million was lost in the stock market by ICANN:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090203_icann_blows_46_million_stock_market/

and ICANN has been paying salaries above what they should be:

http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090105_icann_for_profit_companies_comparables/

I don't care what people do with their own money, but when they're spending
other people's money they have the highest duty to ensure that those funds are
spent wisely, down to the last penny.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/