[ga] Can someone explain how ICANN spends $1 million/yr+ on telephone costs?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Can someone explain how ICANN spends $1 million/yr+ on telephone costs?
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:22:24 -0800 (PST)

Hi folks,

According to page 26 of the current budget:

http://www.icann.org/en/financials/adopted-opplan-budget-v3-fy09-25jun08-en.pdf

ICANN spends over $1 million/yr on telephone costs. Say ICANN has 100
staff --- that would be $10,000/yr per person on telephone calls!

Doesn't that sound a *wee* bit expensive, given VOIP, PBX and other
technologies? Unless they're calling a lot of 1-900 numbers (call it
"research in relation to the .xxx application") this seems very
expensive to me. But, perhaps someone else who has $800/month phone
bills (for each and every employee) can explain this to me (my own
business telephone costs are roughly one-tenth that per month, and
would be even lower if scaled over more employees).

Or, put another way, that's a new iPhone each and every month, with the
old one tossed into the garbage can!

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/