Re: [ga] ICANN loses $4.6 mil

  • To: Debbie Garside <debbie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN loses $4.6 mil
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 18:36:26 -0800

Debbie and all,

  Well Debbie, I have to agree that what goes up, will eventually
come down, but it is not always true nor historically correct that
what goes down will come back up.  This is a basic law of investment.

  ICANN's mistake was that they held on too long, and failed to
see the economic downturn coming.  That's a judgment error of
what we know of rether significant purpotions and demonstrates
poor judgment accordingly.  Now ICANN has two choices, sit
on those now deflated investments and HOPE that they eventually
will show a profit and don't sink further ( which is more likely ), or
stop the bleeding, and take their losses now, before they will likely
be even greater losses.

  Secondly, no Non-Profit Corp. should be making investments in
securities that don't have a guarenteed return of dividend, such as
government Bonds, ect.  Unsing public funds, which is what ICANN
funds essentially are, should never be invested in securities of any sort
that have any down-side potential.

Debbie Garside wrote:

> Gentlemen
>
> Shall we keep this in perspective!  In case you haven't noticed, there seems
> to be a slight recession going on out there - or more to the point a
> FINANCIAL CRISIS!
>
> It is quite usual for large organizations to invest their reserves with a
> view to creating even bigger reserves.  As we all know... what goes up can
> come down.  Nevertheless, if ICANN sit on their investments they will
> undoubtedly go up again in the (I hope) not too distant future.
>
> Let's face it, how many of you would be shouting at ICANN if they were sat
> on $25 Million in there current account with only the prospect of losing it
> when said bank goes to the wall!  Safer to spread it around a little
> methinks.
>
> Best regards
>
> Debbie

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827