[ga] Rogue SSL certificate exploit puts VeriSign on the spot

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Rogue SSL certificate exploit puts VeriSign on the spot
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:11:52 -0800

All,

  Seems that Verisign hasn't been paying proper attention or
listening on security issues for nearly 2 years now.  Verisign
WAS informed of this potential exposure over a year and a half
ago, and sluffed those warnings as not significant.  Bad decision!

See:
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/010609-verisign-ssl-certificate-exploit.html?netht=rn_010609&nladname=010609

  One now would be wise to seriously wonder how many financial
institutes
both inside and outside of the US have been exposed, are exposed, and
customers may have been damaged or had their identities compromised as a

result?

Jonathon and Chuck, although I am a fan of Verisign and have received
many flame Emails as a result, I regretfully must inform you that I have

advised all our customers that are using or had been using Verisign
Certs, to discontinue doing so for any critical or privacy related
and/or
sensitive data available to their customers, and some of these
organizations
that are our customers as well, are financial institutions.

  I have also made the recomendation to all INEGroup members that
use Versign Certs that are either MD5 or SHA1 certs, discontinue
doing so immediately until such time that Verisign has fully and
properly made the necessary adjustments and corrections and
replace these type of very old certs with much more current state
of the technology certs.

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 284k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln
"YES WE CAN!"  Barack ( Berry ) Obama

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827