Re: [ga] ICANN's Fellowship Program

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] ICANN's Fellowship Program
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:43:05 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

--- Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Consider the following list of fellowship recipients (San Juan, Los
> Angeles, New Delhi); I would be curious to know how many you can name
> that have ever participated in any discussion on any ICANN list or
> public comment forum?

My point exactly. Indeed, take a peek at the public comments for new
gTLDs, the latest "hot topic"

http://forum.icann.org/lists/gtld-guide/

and note that even though the public comment period for non-English
languages is still open until January 7:

http://www.icann.org/fr/topics/new-gtlds/comments-fr.htm

which do get posted to the main archive, there have been minimal
non-English contributions (the top French comment on the current
archive was by me, in French, as the DOC comment hadn't yet been posted
at the time of my post --- presumably the verification email had not
been clicked on yet, or something).

Where are all those non-English speakers clamouring for new IDN gTLDs?
Did those "fellows" do anything in their countries? Or were they just
seat-fillers, so that ICANN's meetings don't appear empty as they have
in the past, and to provide jobs and travel for unneeded ICANN staff?

http://www.seeing-stars.com/Showbiz/SeatFillers.shtml

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.leap.com/