[ga] Fwd: [ NNSquad ] AP: "China targets Google in crackdown on pornography" (plus a comment)

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Fwd: [ NNSquad ] AP: "China targets Google in crackdown on pornography" (plus a comment)
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 14:42:33 -0500

The problem with search engines is that they are centralized - unlike the
DNS.  You can always find someone to sue or hold accountable behind a search
engine.  In the DNS accountability is a sort of cloudy issue with so many
splinters and versions of roots and tlds mucking up the namespace.  A lot of
claims too.  China realized this early about the DNS - thats one of the
motivations behind the launching of the China National TLD system.  You
can't control the DNS - but you can control your own piece of the network.
In Chinas case the National TLDs are the network they can rely on if ICANN
or the USG go bonkers.

regards
joe baptista