Re: [ga] Improving Institutional Confidence - feedback from Washington's meeting

  • To: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann board <icann-board@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Peter Dengate Thrush <barrister@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, DOC/NTIA ICANN Rep <aheineman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [ga] Improving Institutional Confidence - feedback from Washington's meeting
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 14:24:59 -0700

Elisabeth and all,

  Good point and catch Elisabeth!  >:)

  I for one am not at this time sure what ICANN officials mean
when stating that they do not plan to sign a oversight agreement
with the USG DOC/NTIA.  Reads like saber rattling to me.
>From a practical point of view, I don't think ICANN has a choice
but to sign a new agreement if the USG desires or believes that
oversight is still necessary and/or required as well as such
oversight is perceived by the larger Internet users and stakeholders
as a necessary precaution.  But I am relatively sure that some
ICANN officials desire to be independent or cut the ties with
the USG/DOC/NTIA.

  From our members point of view, ICANN is a long ways from
being able to reasonably trusted to be without USG oversight and
as such desperately needs adult supervision, much like Wall Street
has and does...

Elisabeth Porteneuve wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> I did not see many comments in the press after Washington's meeting on
> October 1st about
> Improving Institutional Confidence.
>
> Here:
> http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/10/01/ICANN_hears_concerns_about_accountability_control_1.html
> "An oversight agreement between the U.S. government and ICANN expires in a
> year,
> and ICANN officials say they do not plan to sign a new agreement."
>
> and here (by Monika Ermert):
> http://www.ip-watch.org/weblog/index.php?p=1253
> "ICANN Tries To Alleviate Concerns About Independence And Its Future"
>
> What does it mean "ICANN do not plan to sign a new agreement" with the USG?
> Practically speaking ?
>
> Best regards,
> Elisabeth Porteneuve

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827