[ga] Re: OT trying to figure out squatters activity

  • Subject: [ga] Re: OT trying to figure out squatters activity
  • From: Hugo Monteiro <hugo.monteiro@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:24:53 +0100

Hugo Monteiro wrote:
Hello all,

I'm sorry to bring this subject to the list, again, but i was wondering if someone could tell me if i'm being paranoid and/or help me out.

Some may remeber my recent posts about some expired domains i own(ed).

On my last post on the subject, on the 25th of September, i said that the only domain i showed interest in, by contacting the new owner - LeaderByChoice, Inc- , a domain re-seller, was apparently being held captive for registration, and not in fact registered since the creation date kept changing. Today i did an whois on the domain again, and to my surprise i got:

  Updated Date: 29-sep-2008
  Creation Date: 29-sep-2008
  Expiration Date: 29-sep-2009

I wonder how legal these record updates are and if this isn't a clear manouver to keep the domain locked by some registrar which also is, or is affiliated with, a domain re-seller.

I also would like to ask if, in your opinion, i should contact ICANN about this or if there's any other entity, more appropriate, that could clarify this matter.

the registrar doing these updates is MAXIM INTERNET, INC.

Best regards, and thank you in advance for any advice,

Hugo Monteiro.

Hello all, again.

I'm Cc'in the ICANN GA list too since it was "recomended" by another
member of this list.

A small update on the matter. Today i preformed an whois on the domain
and suddenly it was no longer held by anyone.
Went to the registrar and registered it again.
Isn't this a CLEAR evidence that there is something very wrong happening
with the procedure of registration of expired domains? I wish that ICANN
steps in to investigate this further.
Since i managed to register the domain i don't think there's any problem
making its name public now. Didn't do it earlier since i'm almost 100%
sure that DNS/Whois queries were being monitored to analyze peoples
interest/number of hits on the domain. Also i'm hoping that someone at
ICANN can clarify this whole situation. The domain associated with all
this mess is casadocerrado.com.

Thank you all for your time and understanding on this so-off-topic issue.

My best regards,

Hugo Monteiro.

--
ci.fct.unl.pt:~# cat .signature

Hugo Monteiro
Email    : hugo.monteiro@xxxxxxxxxx
Telefone : +351 212948300 Ext.15307

Centro de Informática
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da
                   Universidade Nova de Lisboa
Quinta da Torre   2829-516 Caparica   Portugal
Telefone: +351 212948596   Fax: +351 212948548
www.ci.fct.unl.pt             apoio@xxxxxxxxxx

ci.fct.unl.pt:~# _