[ga] Re: [At-Large] [ALAC] Redemption Grace Period and associated rights

  • To: At-Large Worldwide <at-large@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bill Silverstein <icann-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, icann legal <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>, "twomey@xxxxxxxxx" <twomey@xxxxxxxxx>, Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [At-Large] [ALAC] Redemption Grace Period and associated rights
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 17:23:39 -0700

Bill and all,

  Agreed.  And this was put forth over 6 years ago and was
rejected by the GNSO council and than the ICANN bod.
Ergo, it's a pure an simple money game in favor of the
Registrars, and ICANN itself, as fees for such bad actor
practices have for years now, mostly benifited the registrars
and ICANN itself at the very great expense of registrants
their customers and all consumers/users everywhere.  Such
a pricing scheme is now, and was when first introduced,
questionably legal and certainly not economically sound.

  Why on earth DOC/NTIA allow such a practice is beyond
my wildest imagination and certainly not representative of
the public in which they are supposed to serve.  As such,
and frankly, DOC/NTIA bares some responsibility here,
and still do, as they should demand that ICANN reverse
this earlier errant decision, modify the RAA's accordingly,
and so so within 10 working days, giving registrars an
additional 10 working days to make the necessary RGP
modifications as is or are necessary accordingly.