[ga] Re: [TLDA Public] Re: Cesidian Root under attack from german police

  • To: tlda-members@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [TLDA Public] Re: Cesidian Root under attack from german police
  • From: "Joe Baptista" <baptista@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 15:32:32 -0400

I read the comments by the assistant secretary baker at the doc to twomey.
Which see:

http://www.icann.org/correspondence/baker-to-twomey-09sep08.pdf

My interpretation is that commerce is besides itself with the DNSSEC fall
out.  I'm also sure the Department of State is involved and they are getting
plunked by the diplomatic sector.  Governments are now wise to what I call
the ICANN follies.

Lets be clear.  The DNS under DNSSEC will only serve to give absolute
authority of root operations to the root operators or ultimately the
Department of Commerce.

I have watched with amusement as a protocol I have always considered crap
has been mass marketed to the Internet community using security
vulnerabilities as its main selling point.  Security through fear is one
hard sell that has not worked so well in this case.  The world and its
nations are beginning to see that these security vulnerabilities are easy to
fix without having to put complete control of the DNS of every country and
individual into the hands of the brotherhood of the scary thirteen roots.

http://www.root-servers.org/

The pressure on commerce and state departments to explain themselves is
enormous.  As such we should not be surprised the DOC have put the brakes on
ICANN's attempt to take control of the Internet through the deployment of an
encryption process, being DNSSEC.

The real entertainment is to see what happens to the .GOV deployment of
DNSSEC.  I feel this announcement was premature in light of the letter from
the DOC to ICANN.

cheers
joe baptista