[ga] Re: [ PFIR ] Google Phone "Heavy" Data Users May be Throttled

  • To: PFIR - People For Internet Responsibility announcement list <pfir@xxxxxxxx>, Lauren Weinstein <lauren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [ PFIR ] Google Phone "Heavy" Data Users May be Throttled
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 00:32:02 -0700

Lauren et., al.,

  I am not at all surprised that some carriers/cell providers, such
as my company are desiring to Throttle Google's new HTC G1
when AT&T has it's own product along with Apples Extraneous
non displayable data generated as a result of HTC G1 per transmission
may be one of the many reasons.  Another is likely related to peering
agreements/contracts as well as the host of security and privacy
related problems that have become a ever increasing concern to
multiple carriers post FISA compromise bill passage into now
present law, and the fact that Google's once secret agreement to
share personally and private information with USDOJ without a
warrant for same or even the prior knowledge of the person
or persons to which said data originated from or was received
by, and as such making Google's HTC G1 a less than viable
or usable tool for IT professionals and many non professional
users, which is adding Google's growing reputation of being
far less than "User Friendly", despite their marketing jargon to
the contrary.

  So perhaps a redesign of HTC G1, a serious revision of Google's
TOS'es, and a much greater interest in the "Greater Good" and
"User Friendly" policy by which individual Google users can feel
secure that their PII information isn't spread all over the place without
their expressed and written permission in advance.  However to date,
Google has not seen fit to respect users privacy to the extent that
the law provides, and/or IT security professionals are willing to
consider reasonable, as well as in stark violation of UN privacy
provisions accordingly.