[ga] Abusive Domain names?: Questioning Google's Privacy Reform

  • To: Ga <ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ICANN Policy staff <policy-staff@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Abusive Domain names?: Questioning Google's Privacy Reform
  • From: "Jeffrey A. Williams" <jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 02:18:16 -0700

All,

I can't of course speak for Google users, I am not one, but I am
yet again having trouble believing anything Google officially
says, or for that matter does, as well as having more and more trouble
with their sense of right and wrong, and User Friendliness.

  Given that Privacy is a very special and VERY important right,
as it is not separable from saftey/security, endangering others by
having business practices and policies such as Googles TOS
and this article below demonstrates gives me and our members
much more than just pause, but grave concern as well for many
obvious and not so obvious reasons, all of which Google executives
should be well aware of and/or recognize fully, but either don't,
or do, and could care less...

  I think old Ben Franklin summed it up best when he said:
?Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.?

  As such, it seems obvious to me that the DOJ is also playing
a very dangerous game in thier "Deal" with Google, and doing
so at the expense of Google users without their knowledge
or especially consent.  Such is irresponsible and egregious
in the extreme IMO, and breads mis-trust in an American
institution sworn to uphold the law, the Constitution,
and the rights of ALL US citizens.

See:
A story questioning whether Google's recent commitment to anonymize
IP logs faster is  http://news.cnet.com/8301-13739_3-10038963-46.html
really as good as it sounds.  We discussed
  http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/09/09/1334251&tid=158
their announcement a few days ago. CNet's Chris Soghoian
takes a closer look: "While the company hasn't said how it
de-identifies the cookies, it has revealed in public statements that
its IP anonymization technique consists of chopping off the last 8
bits of a user's IP address. As an example, an IP address of a home
user could be 173.192.103.121. After 18 months, Google chops this
down to 173.192.103.XXX. Since each octet (the numbers between each
period of an IP) can contain values from 1-255, Google's anonymization
technique allows a user, at most, to hide among 254 other computers. ...
Google has now revealed that it will change "some" of the bits of the IP
address after 9 months, but less than the eight bits that it masks after
the full 18 months. Thus, instead of Google's customers being able to
hide among 254 other Internet users, perhaps they'll be able to hide
among 64, or 127 other possible IP addresses. By itself, this is a
laughable level of anonymity. However, it gets worse."

Regards,

Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 281k members/stakeholders strong!)
   Abraham Lincoln

jwkckid1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
My Phone: 214-244-4827