[ga] Re: [NA-Discuss] Open Letter on ICANN Non-Openness

  • To: "'NA Discuss'" <na-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [ga] Re: [NA-Discuss] Open Letter on ICANN Non-Openness
  • From: Danny Younger <dannyyounger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 07:15:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have received this note:

"The meeting being referred to (which I am presently at) is not an ICANN
meeting, nor organised by ICANN. There are a couple of invited ICANN guest
speakers, myself included, but it has been organised by the .RU registry."

Having noted the regional gathering of the supplier clan at New Orleans, the
regional gathering of the registry-registrar Trade Association at Dubai, and
the back-to-back meetings of the registry-registrar Guild at Bulgaria and
Korea, one can rightly understand why the public may be confused as to which
meeting of the Cartel is designated as "official" or "unofficial".

What is quite clear, however, is that while ICANN expends significant resources
in support of these supplier sessions, when the at-large community asks for a
meager amount of funding for regional events, it is routinely told that there
are no funds in the budget to accommodate the requests.

At least now we know where the money is going...