Re: [ga] What are ICANN and VeriSign doing regarding CERT Advisory #800113 / DNS Cache Poisoning?

  • To: ga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [ga] What are ICANN and VeriSign doing regarding CERT Advisory #800113 / DNS Cache Poisoning?
  • From: George Kirikos <gkirikos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 19:46:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Just to followup, ICANN sent out a news release earlier:

http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-06aug08-en.htm

It's a step in the right direction, to help educate folks. However,
there's no true "fix", as the protocol itself is broken. A move towards
DNSSEC or other secure DNS would be the only appropriate long-term
solution.

If there's ever a cyber 9/11, as Lessig discussed at:

http://news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/05/220229

widespread DNS cache poisoning might be one of the root causes.

I'd like to hear from VeriSign as to whether they're planning to
implement DNSSEC or a secure DNS alternative for .com/net, as PIR
intends for .org.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/